- You need a Savior. Putting two sinners together for a lifetime makes this a priority.
- Stay committed to one another. Love is not a feeling. It’s a decision that needs to be renewed regularly, especially when the relationship is struggling.
- Pray with your spouse. This takes us away from a “me first” mentality and opens the spousal needs to each other.
- Forgive one another. Remind yourself that if God can forgive you of all your sins, we are to do no less for our spouses. (More on that topic in a later blog…)
- Realize that there is no such thing as a perfect spouse. And no, we probably aren’t going to be able to ”fix” their flaws.
- Have faith that God knows what He is doing.
- Trust that God gives grace and direction as you trust Him. Regardless of what life throws at you, this is paramount for your marriage to thrive.
- You will need to make compromises. No, you can’t always have your way.
- Be objective and try to take emotion out of problem solving opportunities. Don’t let a slip of the tongue escalate into a battle.
- Love your spouse. In what you say, do, and think. That love can only come from God.
If your marriage feels a little stale, I would encourage you to get out of the rut you are in. Try dating your spouse all over again.
For any questions or concerns in your marriage, please feel free to reach out!